The University of Ghana, formerly called University College of the Gold Coast was established in 1948 and was an affiliated college of the University of London.
The school which is currently the oldest and the largest of all public and private universities in Ghana has evolved over the years, training and branding community and national leaders on a large scale for economic and social development.
As a University poised to distinguish itself in the area of research to make an impact at the national and international level, the University has launched strategic plans over the years to see that happen.
Some of the most prominent and highly respected Ghanaian leaders including the president of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo are alumni of the school and that alone explains why the international communities are patronizing their services.
University of Ghana Mission
To become a world-class research-intensive University over the next decade.
University of Ghana Vision
Create an enabling environment that makes the University of Ghana increasingly relevant to national and global development through cutting-edge research as well as high-quality teaching and learning.
University of Ghana Programmes of Study
Here’s an insight into the courses offered by the university and what you can hope to study if you have an interest in the premier university.
- Bachelor of Arts.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts.
- Bachelor of Law.
- Bachelor of Science in Administration.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Agricultural, Biomedical, Computer, Food Process, Materials)
- Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Natural Sciences:
- Animal Biology & Conservation Science
- Biochemistry, Cell, and Molecular Biology
- Computer Science
- Earth Science
- Information Technology
- Marine & Fisheries Sciences
- Nutrition & Food Science
Korle Bu Campus
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- B.Sc. Dietetics
- B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Sciences
- B.Sc. Occupational Therapy
- B.Sc. Physiotherapy
- B.Sc. Radiography
For more available programs not mentioned here, please look here.
Currently, the university which is popular among Ghanaians as UG or Leg, is ranked as number 1 in Ghana by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR).