Russia invades Ukraine after months of unrest between the two nations. This is after Russia has dropped warheads on Ukraine in the country’s major cities including Kyiv.
According to a report by CNN, after months of military buildup and brinkmanship, Russian forces have begun an unprecedented military invasion in Ukraine.
Earlier this week, Putin announced a military operation in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine, containing Donetsk and Luhansk, the separatist-held regions that Moscow recognized as independent on Monday — in violation of international law.
European countries and the United States have begun rolling out sanctions in response to Russia’s actions. A whirlwind of diplomatic efforts in recent weeks has so far failed to defuse tensions in the region.
👉 Swipe through to see images of the invasion
1. An explosion is visible in Ukraine’s capital city Kyiv
Image Credit: Ukrainian President’s Office
2. A convoy of Russian military vehicles is seen on February 23 in the Rostov region of Russia, which runs along Ukraine’s eastern border
Image Credit: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
3. Queues of people attempt to flee Kyiv
Image Credit: Pierre Crom/Getty Images
4. A wounded woman is seen after a reported airstrike at an apartment complex outside of Kharkiv, Ukraine, on February 24
Image Credit: Wolfgang Schwan/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
5. Ukrainian soldiers talk in a shelter at the front line near Svitlodarsk, Ukraine, on February 23
Image Credit: Evgeniy Maloletka/AP
6. Police officers inspect the remains of a missile that landed in Kyiv on February 24
Image Credit: Valentyn Ogirenko/Reuters
7. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky holds an emergency meeting in Kyiv on February 24
Image Credit: Ukrainian Presidency/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images