The formation of the Ministry of Tourism Nigeria is to give the people of Nigeria some hope that the tourism potentials of the country won’t go to waste but will be harnessed to add to the available resources for national development.
The ministry which is a governmental institution has a membership-based on appointments from the presidency of the country. With this, each member of the ministry is tasked with a unique function or responsibility.
Read our article on Tourism in Nigeria – places of interest and directions to these places so that you won’t be stranded.
Ministry of Tourism Nigeria
In Nigeria, the highest tourism regulatory body is called the Federal Ministry of Tourism, Culture & National Orientation. However, there is also the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC), an agency of the Nigerian state, and specifically the Ministry of Culture, Tourism, and National Orientation, responsible for the overall development of the country’s tourism.
In the tourism ministry is the Department of National Tourism (DOT), a branch mandated to encourage, promote, and develop tourism as a major socio-economic activity to generate foreign currency and local employment and to spread the benefits of tourism to a wider segment of the population with the support, assistance, and cooperation of both the private and public institutions.
Other departments include:
- Cultural Industries & Heritage (CIH)
- Entertainment & Creative Service (ECS)
- Federal Government Press (FGP)
- Finance & Accounts (F&A)
- General Services
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Information Technology (IT)
- International Cultural Relations (ICR)
- National Archives of Nigeria
- Planning, Budget, Research & Statistics (PRS)
- Press, Public Relations & Protocol (PRPD)
- Production, Publication, and Documentation (PPD)
- Public Communication & National Orientation (PC)
- Reforms Coordination & Services Improvement
- International Tourism Promotions & Co-operations
- Domestic and Eco-Tourism Promotion and Control
You must know that the head office of the ministry is located in Abuja and you are free to make inquiries through the Federal Ministry of Information through their Operational Centres.